PEPs - Products, Environment, and Processes
Department of Chemical Engineering
University of Liège, Sart-Tilman
Allée du Six Août 11
Building B6c, room 1/66
Phone: +32 4 366-35 21
Here in google maps at the encircled black and white point you find my office at the first floor. Parking is possible at the parking lots P11 and P14 visible at the upper edge of the map. Acces to the office building is from Allée du Six Août.
major research topics:
- solvent and reactive extraction: develop and validate a design tool for extraction columns based on the drop-based simulation of the columns, where the parameters of the drop models are determined from lab experiments
- coalescence, liquid-liquid phase separation, and settlers: settler design based on single-drop modelling, where the coalescence parameters are determined from a lab-scale settling experiment
- exergetic evaluation and advanced thermodynamic modelling: exergo-economic comparison of entire process routes and individual process steps is performed, especially for bio-based substances advanced thermodynamic models are derived
- sustainability, specifically application of balances to characterize scenarios of global future development.
- ULg, PEPs - Separation and Purification 2016
- ULiège, PEPs - Separation and Purification 2017
- ULiège, PEPs - Separation and Purification 2018
- in the directory of the University of Liège
- list of publications
- YouTube channel
- Sustainicum: PowerPoint, manuscript, and videos
- Our Successful Future
additional lecture resources:
- Integrated Project Bachelor (schnaps project)
The team of 2018 on YouTube by Web-TV:
- Physical Unit Operations 1 (part Thermal Unit Operations)
- Expert Course on Solvent Extraction
- A. Pfennig: So gelingt unsere Zukunft. 2018, BoD, Norderstedt
- J. Ayesterán, N. Kopriwa, F. Buchbender, M. Kalem, A. Pfennig: ReDrop - A Simulation Tool for the Design of Extraction Columns Based on Single-Drop Experiments. Chem. Eng. Technol. 38(10) (2015) 1894-1900.
- A. Bednarz, B. Rüngeler, A. Pfennig: Use of Cascaded Option Trees in Chemical-Engineering Process Development. Chem. Ing. Tech. 86(5) (2014) 611-620.
- M.Y. Altunok, M. Kalem, A. Pfennig: Investigation of Mass Transfer on Single Droplets for the Reactive Extraction of Zinc with D2EHPA. AIChE J. 58(5) (2012) 1346-1355.
- F. Buchbender, M. Schmidt, T. Steinmetz, A. Pfennig: Simulation von Extraktionskolonnen in der industriellen Praxis. Chem. Ing. Tech. 2012, 84(4) (2012) 540-546.
- A. Pfennig: Supporting debottlenecking of global human processes by applying appropriate balances. Biotechnol. J., 2(12) (2007) 1485-1496.
- A. Pfennig: Distillation Simulated on Molecular Level. Mol. Simul., 30(6) (2004) 361-366.
- R. Schott, A. Pfennig: Modelling of mass-transfer induced instabilities at liquid-liquid interfaces based on molecular simulations. Mol. Phys., 102(4) (2004) 331-339.
- M. Henschke, L.H. Schlieper, A. Pfennig: Determination of a coalescence parameter from batch-settling experiments. Chem. Eng. J. 85 (2002) 369–378.
- Pfennig, A. Schwerin: Influence of Electrolytes on Liquid-Liquid Extraction. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 37 (1998) 3180-3188.
- F. Döbert, A. Pfennig, M. Stumpf: Derivation of the Consistent Osmotic Virial Equation and Its Application to Aqueous Poly(ethylene glycol)-Dextran Two-Phase Systems. Macromolecules 28 (23) (1995) 7860-7868.